Yesterday I received the Rio Salon Laser Scanning Hair Remover (LAHS). I have not tried it yet. Before deciding to buy it I checked out Amazon pages and other places where people commented on the machine. I found lots of mixed reviews. Although some users said they would share their experiences with the device, I could not find any entries for long-term use of the Rio machine. So I have decided to make a log of how often do I use it, any results (or not) that I see, etc, over a 6 month period. Maybe with this log-blog, I will help other people interested in it decide if it’s worth the money or not (including my siblings and my mother!). Now, I intend to log it for 6 months, for two reasons: 1. they do say in the instructions it takes a few months/applications to see “real” results; 2. that’s how long I have before I’ll be going to the beach to suntan 🙂

So, shall we start with day 1?

Things you might need to know, to be able to see if my results could apply to you:

1. According to the skin types and recommendations of the machine, I would say I am… between two skin types. It says:
    • Type III: Fair to light olive: burns mildly, tans slowly
    • Type IV: Olive to brown: rarely burns, tans with ease

hmmm… now Type III, says maximum power level 5, while Type IV says up to power level 3. Just to start on the safe side, I will use Power Level 3 today.

2. I am going to start with two areas of about 8×8 cm2.
  3. Amount of hair… about 2 hairs per square centimeter, which might not sound like much, but man they’re black! (ok, a bit embarrassed here, so I reeeeeally hope someone finds this log-blog useful!).
  4. The hairs will have to be trimmed to 2-3 mm as the instructions say, before I can start.

And I think that’s it at the moment! I’m going to publish this blog and will add my first impressions after the session.

First impressions:

I have just finished the first session. I have lasted around 15 minutes. As I said, I have used Power Level 3. Note for people who don’t read the instructions fully before using a new “toy” (like me): there is a code to be entered in the machine before it will work, and it’s not in the quick instructions page, but the “Information Guide”. First impressions then:

• I shaved quickly before using the laser machine with one of those B’kini razors which I don’t think was such a good idea. Basically either the hairs remaining were too short or too long. So next time I will shave with one of those creams 3 or 4 days before the day I intend to use the laser machine again, so by “day 2” of this log-blog, I will have 3 mm-long hairs.
  • I found it hard to know were had I been already. Next time, I will try to be less all over the place and follow a regular pattern. I mean, the actual laser area is 7 mm x 5 mm… now that’s small, and it’s in the middle of a larger plastic handle which does not allow to aim that well. As I said, though, it would help to follow a more regular pattern than what I did: now here, now there, now…
  • Although at some point it did smell a bit of burnt skin, I did not have any burning sensation. I did notice, though, the “pin prick”, almost every time. Just startled me a bit, but not really painful.

Overall, not difficult to use, but unsure if I used it correctly, due to it’s small laser area. I think I will try again next week, depending on if I see any skin redness or not (none so far). I might even increase the test area! See you next week!

PS. ZoltarStark was kind enough to offer 3 hairs (yes, THREE) to complement this log-blog’s study of the effectiveness of the Rio Laser Machine. As he is a lot whiter than me, we used Power Level 5. After trimming the hairs to 2mm in length, I applied the Laser in Scanning Mode to the areas (2 hairs on the left arm, 1 on the right arm). Notes on the small-scale test:

• ZoltarStark did not feel the “pin prick”.
  • With the Laser in Scan Mode, I once aimed completely at the wrong place. No way I would be able to use the Laser in Single-hair mode. I wonder if the DVD that comes with the box explains how can you aim exactly where you want to.

“Rio Laser Hair Remover” does it work?continue reading >>

rss feed to post Subscribe to the Rio Laser Hair Remover log-blog to follow LadyRostand’s experiences with the machine.

Subscribe to olivetalks to receive an email whenever a new post appears in the category of your choice.
Print This Post Print This Post

Tags: , , , , , ,

30 Responses to '“Rio Laser Hair Remover” does it work? day 1'

1. January 17th, 2008 at 6:06 pm
    lobeznoUK said,

keep them coming! we want to know if it really works or not! hairs falling yet?

2. February 15th, 2008 at 1:47 pm
    LadyRostand said,

No hairs falling out yet, but some have definitely stopped growing! 😀 Follow the posts on my experiences on Rio Laser Hair Remover and you’ll see all the details of the process. And thanks for your comment lobeznoUK!

3. February 21st, 2008 at 1:59 pm
    jess said,

hi there, ive lost my booklets, does anyone know the unlock code??

4. February 21st, 2008 at 2:13 pm
    LadyRostand said,

Hi Jess, thanks for passing by. The code for the Rio Hair Salon Scan Remover version is: +, single, -, single.

Care to share your thoughts on the machine? 🙂 Best of luck with your fight against those hairs…

5. November 9th, 2008 at 6:16 am
    interested ladynz said,

hey dude wat happened to the blog has it worked r u finished yet did it reduce the hair? come on we need to know don’t leave us hanging

6. April 27th, 2009 at 8:11 pm
    sara larsone said,

hi,

thanx for the realy usefull blog but untell know iam not very sure about this device , i normaly have the laser treatment by a specialist and they know there work because it need planing for removing larg areas like the legs.
    but still thinking to buy it to save my money..

7. June 7th, 2009 at 9:32 pm
    Nikki said,

Hi, i bought this machine a while ago and have lost the instuctuctions. (I have a toddler that bins everything). If someone could tell me the code to start the machine i would be most grateful. Thanks 🙂

8. June 8th, 2009 at 8:17 am
    LadyRostand said,

Hi Nikki, thanks for passing by. The code for the Rio Hair Salon Scan Remover version is: +, single, -, single.

9. July 20th, 2009 at 2:06 am
    DaReN said,

hii ALL… WOOOW So nice product
    acually i dont use it 🙂 and i wanna ask
    how is really use it and try it
    is this porduct is really usefull and is not wast of money plzzzzzzzz how try it tell me <<<waithing for answer

10. July 21st, 2009 at 9:43 pm
    lorze said,

Please can we get an update on those nasty follicles? thanx

11. October 9th, 2009 at 1:19 pm
    apple said,

i have salon laser hair removal system but lost user manual and
    dvd step.by.step so unable to use the device please guide me how to use it how to apply the code

12. November 27th, 2009 at 5:19 pm
    karen said,

dear olive talks this is karen from sydney. i m really interested in the machine and my sons are interested, funny isnt it how boys are itchin to shave and once it get to the point where they need to shave every couple of days for work , they want to get rid of it. any how i told them i would use on their face for them. no more whiskers.

13. January 14th, 2010 at 9:00 pm
    john said,

We still waiting for the results, any luck? please update us as we all waiting to see if the product worth it cost!!!

14. February 27th, 2010 at 6:58 pm
    sammy said,

still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. March 27th, 2010 at 11:52 am
    Julia Thamos said,

This mechines are good for laser hair removal…..for more details…..

16. May 2nd, 2010 at 3:24 pm
    Mandy said,

I use to say i had michael days, not anymore, i have used it for about a year now only a couple of persistant hairs coming back but i will keep fighting on good luck all

17. May 12th, 2010 at 2:22 pm
    Belinda said,

Hi all, thanks for the funny reading…. I am considering buying the Rio and was wondering which one was used in the trail… I know you have a choice from cheaper to more exspensive. Single hair unit and then 20 and 60. It sounds like 20 was used for it targets so few hairs at a time. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE RIO 60 WILL TARGET MORE HAIRS AT A TIME??

Mandy, you said that you have been using Rio for a year now and that it works… did you use the 20 or 60?
    Thanks and good luck

18. May 30th, 2010 at 7:54 pm
    sarah said,

Hello I have recieved the salon laser hair removal system and donnot know the code, it is the single hair removal system the only buttons it has on it are (-), (+) and a power button. the other button is actualy on the wand please help me X

thanks sarah

19. July 12th, 2010 at 4:48 pm
    liv said,

to sarah. the security code is- +, power button, -, power button, then it should turn on xx

20. July 12th, 2010 at 4:50 pm
    liv said,

to sarah. the security code is (+), (power button), (-),(power button), then it should turn on xx

21. November 16th, 2010 at 5:34 pm
    shark said,

hi
    i want to ask is it safe to use, doesn’t required a specialist to use?

22. August 26th, 2011 at 5:56 am
    bambam said,

Hi everybody!
    I bought the Rio lpl about a month ago and it is working for me. I have legs that are hairier than king kongs & after about 6 sessions I see excellent results. Its not all gone yet, there’s still some patches left but compared with what I had before I so happy! Now I dont have to shave my legs everyday. I have zapped my underarms as well, my right arm pit hairs are almost completely gone but my left one needs a few more sessions. I have light olive skin & dark brown hair. Hair on legs & arm pits were extremely thick & shaving everyday was a necessity. Its working for me!

23. October 8th, 2011 at 3:08 am
    Bogda said,

I have lost a key for Salon Laser “Rio” (single hair removal system) during home renovation. Please help me.

24. November 14th, 2011 at 6:46 am
    Judie Ann said,

I have bought it and have used it for over a year, it has eliminated or completely lightened the hairs. I am not an expert, just a layman at this. It is easy to use.
    To Bogda:

25. November 20th, 2011 at 12:34 am
    jasmine said,

simple answer bogda, buy a new machine from argos, keep one of the keys out of 2, then return the machine and start using ur machine with a new key and the code above ^^ (+, power, -,power) :))

26. May 4th, 2012 at 12:33 am
    madcat said,

When the laser scans, it flashes white until all hairs are found, but unless it has contact with skin then only the amber light shows. Just want to no if I am doing anything wrong as when doin my legs am findin it hard to keep white light flashing constantly until all hairs found even tho I av not moved or left contact with skin……. Can anyone help or advise pls?

27. February 1st, 2013 at 10:51 pm
    Nora said,

Well. i have tried it on my hand for two ,
    And it really made the hair look thiner and lighter .
    But it need to have patience in applying on leg hair ,and it make someone exhausted
    , as they say ( no pain(patience) no gain ),
    See u guys once i complete my whole body with this laser Treatment .
    And sure i will Let u guys know what i gained .

28. March 2nd, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    Rosie said,

My sister-in-law gave me her machine several months ago, as she was too frightened to use it. So I decided I would give it a go but unfortunately the Instruction Guide was missing when I went to use it.. . And that is how and why I stumbled onto this Blog. So now that I have the Sequence Code I can begin. I think I will start on my legs first, then arms, hands and then leave my face until I am confident that no scarring or visible damage will occur. Will keep you all informed of my progress. I am half Italian and have put up with hairy arms, legs and face for years so I am quite excited in trying this product. Thank you for all the comments above. Bye for now.

29. April 8th, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    kerrygold said,

Hi.. Just wondering should I buy the Rio salon laser hair removal system or not… I have been getting hair removal on my face and bikini area for a while now, but its so expensive.I would love to do my legs and underarms but I dont want to spend money and find out its crap.. Please help…
    Thanks so much .. from a prickly lady 🙂

30. April 29th, 2013 at 8:20 am
    nourrisson said,

Hi, I discovered your article on and while the material seems great,
    I wonder if your site may be having a couple browser compatibility problems.
    Anytime I check out your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when
    opening in IE, it has a bunch of overlapping difficulties.
    Just so you know.